If we were to take a poll of what made people happy in today’s society, the answers would be many and varied. For some, it depends on a sought-after dream being fulfilled, wealth and popularity or finding the perfect soulmate. For others happiness is drawn from more simplistic forms such as a giggle from a child they love or the dawn of a bright, new day.
It’s true that so many women today tie their happiness to things that are temporary. As they meander their way through life they find they are continually let down. Why? Well, to be completely honest. . . Friends change. Dreams sometimes crumble. A lifestyle can be fleeting. A relationship may ebb and flow. A once successful career may collapse. Even a pair of Louboutin shoes will eventually wear out.
“Joy has nothing to do with material things, or with man’s outward circumstance…A man living in the lap of luxury can be wretched, and a man in the depths of poverty can overflow with joy.”
– William Barclay
But does this really mean that happiness too has to fade and vanish? Absolutely not! There is no reason why your happiness can’t be elevated by uplifting relationships, achievements, and events for they are so often the greatest sources of joy. But there must be a foundation stronger and more stable for your own contentment.
The Choice is Yours
“Happiness isn’t something that depends on our surroundings…It’s something we make inside ourselves.”
– Corrie Ten Boom
Ultimately, happiness is a choice. You can choose to let things, people, emotions and feelings elate your joy or disturb it. All the happiness that you can ever dream of belongs to you. It’s in your hands. You can choose to mold it, shape it, fashion it and multiply it. Or on the other hand you can hide it, stow it, put it in a dark corner and blow it out.
Whatever your present situation you decide if the outcome is either positive or negative.
Life continually gives. Look around you – wherever you are and see how truly blessed you are! At home? You have a roof over your head that provides sufficient protection. In a cafe? You have a delicious selection of fresh food at your convenience. At work? You’re so lucky to have a regular paycheck coming through each week.
I know so many of us (including myself!) take the simple joys and pleasures in life for granted. Things that come naturally everyday without invitation.
- Waking up to a fresh, new day alive and breathing! No matter what happens in the hours ahead, you can come back to your breath for a sense of peace and presence
- Freedom for faith, religion, beliefs and values of our own choice
- Language to communicate, ideas, plans, dreams
- Your future is completely open, ready to be seized and enjoyed
- Wisdom to open opportunities for us to grow as a person and gain greater awareness and understanding of ourselves and world around us
- A sense of safety that makes it possible to experience love, pleasure, and trust
- Health. Even if you don’t have perfect health right now be encouraged that our bodies are made to heal. Learn to cherish your health, preserve it, and when you get sick feel blessed that you will get better.
- You have a purpose! When our true purpose is discovered we awake with renewed vigor and resolve
The list is endless. . . Really you don’t need much to realise just how blessed we really are from this statistic.
Have a beautiful week . . .